The Bangladeshi journalist of Daily Jugantor, Moazzem Hossain Nannu, has succumbed to his burns at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery in Dhaka.
“He died at 8:20 am on Saturday while undergoing treatment at the intensive care unit (ICU) of the institute,” Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) police outpost in-charge, Inspector Md Bachchu Miah, confirmed.
On Friday, Moazzem Hossain Nannu, a crime reporter for the daily, sustained burn injuries in a fire that broke out at his house located at Aftabnagar in the capital.
He was admitted to the institute with 60% burns, resident physician Partha Sankar Pal said, adding that Nannu was in critical condition.
The senior journalist was the former general secretary of the Crime Reporters’ Association of Bangladesh (CRAB).
Inspector Bachchu Miah said the reason behind the fire could not be ascertained yet, but he surmised that the fire might have originated from gas leakage.
Earlier in January of this year, the journalist’s son, Shapnil Ahmed Piash, 24, died in a fire reportedly caused by a short circuit in the same house.
Nannu’s wife Pallabi, told bfp that Nannu returned home from the newspaper office around 1:30 am on Friday.
She said their son’s room mostly remained closed since he passed away. But she and her husband would go to the room from time to time to relive his memories.
“Coming home from work, Nannu opened their son’s room at 3:30 am. As soon as he pressed the switch to turn on the light, a loud explosion took place.”
Immediately, burnt Nannu went to the bathroom and took a bath. He later extinguished the fire himself and was rescued and admitted to the hospital, Pallabi said.
She also said sometimes the smell of gas could be found in the flat.
The gas mechanics were brought in several days ago and they checked the line four times. They said the gas could have formed in the bathroom commode.