DU student rape: Female students form human shield, males protest inside it

Posted by

Female students of Dhaka University (DU) have blockaded the Teacher-Student Centre (TSC) intersection creating a human shield.

The protest took place around 1pm on Thursday demanding justice for their fellow peer who was raped by a serial rapist.

Inside the shield, one group of students held a sit-in protest while a group of female students performed a flash mob and another group comprising first year students burnt an effigy of the rapist.

The blockade caused traffic grid-lock on incoming and outgoing routes from Shahbagh.

A second year sociology department student, Fazle Elahi said: “Mojnu(s) are growing due to lack of justice in the country. We demand security for everyone across the country.”

He thanked the female students and said they would be submitting a memorandum to the vice-chancellor demanding justice.

Dhaka University Central Students’ Union (Ducsu) Member Tanbir Hasan Shaikat led the effigy burning program of Mojnu along with first year students.

He said: “Our sisters have been protecting us during protests of any kind inside DU, both before and after the country’s independence. It is a tradition of DU that our sisters always stay in the front.”

On Sunday evening, the DU student was attacked and raped by the rapist Md Mojnu, 30, on the side of the Airport Road.

On Wednesday Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) arrested Monju in the case filed by the victim’s father on Monday at the Cantonment police station.

Mojnu was identified as the sex offender by the victim after law enforcement officials showed his photo to her.

The victim is currently undergoing treatment at the One-Stop Crisis Centre at Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH)

The news of the rape took the online community by storm and made headlines immediately, causing a nationwide uproar with universities across the country witnessing raging protests, seeking justice for the victim.

Following the incident, DU students blocked Shahbagh intersection for two hours on Monday and gave authorities a 24-hour ultimatum for arresting those involved in the rape. They continued protests on Tuesday.

BDFreePress/Dhaka Tribune

Leave a Reply