In a wake of the coronavirus, Bangladesh has been suspended on arrival visas for Chinese nationals for a month.
Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen made the statement in a press briefing at the Foreign Ministry on Sunday morning.
He said Chinese nationals will now have to submit their medical certificates while applying for a Bangladeshi visa.
The minister said: “We have asked the Chinese people working here not to visit their country for a month.
“No manpower will be brought from China during this period for the ongoing Chinese projects here.”
He said: “We have informed the Chinese authorities regarding the matter, and they have agreed to it.”
A total of 316 Bangladeshi citizens stranded in China’s Wuhan, the epicenter of the new coronavirus outbreak, returned home on a special flight of Biman Bangladesh Airlines on February 1.
Of them, 10 were taken to two hospitals in Dhaka– Kurmitola General Hospital and Combined Military Hospital (CMH)– for observation
Coronavirus, now a global health emergency
The World Health Organization (WHO) declared a global health emergency as the death toll from a new Coronavirus reached 305 on Sunday.
The virus is believed to have originated late last year in a food market in Wuhan that was illegally selling wildlife.
New cases are being reported every day around the world, spurring cuts to travel, outbreaks of anti-China sentiment in some places and a surge in demand for protective face masks.
Medical experts say the rising number of human-to-human transmissions outside China suggests a greater potential for the virus to spread further.
Statistics from China indicate that just over 2% of people infected have died, suggesting that the virus may be less deadly than the coronaviruses behind 2002-2003 Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).